Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Spike Bar: Tiger Woods's return - in the player's own words

Peter Dixon recalls the Woods saga, bemoans the ludicrous pro-am and welcomes back a Ryder Cup favourite.

After the best part of four months away from the game, Tiger Woods has announced his comeback. It has been quite a ride since he had that argument with a fire hydrant outside his Florida home at the end of last year and here, through the words of the man himself, The Spike Bar looks back at the way events have unfolded.
November 15, 2009
On winning the JBWere Masters in Melbourne:
"I'm very, very thankful to come here and play in front of such great people and put together some good rounds. My friends and family came down and everyone had a great time."
Elin, his wife, was at home. But among those friends was one Rachel Uchitel, party hostess and catalyst for everything that was about to follow.
November 17, 2009
In an interview for New Zealand television, it was put to Woods: “Family first and golf second. Always been that way?”
Tiger's reply: “Always. Always."
Ten days later, his world came crashing down. Literally.
November 27, 2009
Statement on Tiger's website:
"Tiger Woods was in a minor car accident outside his home last night. He was admitted [to hospital], treated and released today in good condition. We appreciate very much everyone's thoughts and well wishes."
... and now go away.
November 29, 2009
Statement on Tiger's website:
"Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible."
And which false, unfounded and malicious rumours might they be?
December 2, 2009
Statement on Tiger's website:
"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves."
Transgressions? With 12 mistresses and counting, I suppose that's one way of putting it.
December 11, 2009
Statement on Tiger's website:
"After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father and person."
And with that, it was time to head off for a touch of therapy - the rich man's get-out.
February 19, 2010
That apology in front of family, friends and associates ... and millions of television viewers worldwide:
"I thought I could get away with whatever I wanted to. I felt that I had worked hard my entire life and deserved to enjoy all the temptations around me. I felt I was entitled. I was wrong. I was foolish. I don't get to play by different rules ...
"I do plan to return to golf one day, I just don't know when that day will be. I don't rule out that it will be this year."
... all said with hand on heart (or was it wallet?) and, in truth, toe-curlingly awful. The one thing that made everybody sit up was the announcement that he had no idea when he might play again. Reduced to a husk of his former self, the world No 1 did not look like a man who could return to competition any time soon.
And then, 25 days later ...
March 16, 2010
Statement on Tiger's website:
"After a long and necessary time away from the game, I feel like I'm ready to start my season at Augusta." (The Masters, April 8-11).

"I have undergone almost two months of inpatient therapy and I am continuing my treatment. Although I'm returning to competition, I still have a lot of work to do in my personal life."
And so the soap opera moves on to Augusta next month. One thing is for certain. It will not be dull.
Anti pro-am
Desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose, which probably explains why the European Tour's Trophée Hassan II golf tournament in Morocco this week is in that most dreaded of formats - the pro-am. You would not send Joe Public on to the pitch with Wayne Rooney would you? And yet for some reason, professional golf seems content to let the happy hackers get in the way of their star performers. Put it down to money, sponsors' money.
At least in this instance the tour has seen sense in discarding the amateurs after 36 holes and letting the professionals get on with their real jobs over the final two days. It is something that should be considered for the Dunhill Links Championship that takes place at St Andrews, Carnoustie and Kingsbarns each October. Why not let the amateurs play the three courses and then clear the decks when the pros go for the line at St Andrews on the final day? With big money and world ranking points at stake things suddenly become very serious. And by this stage, the amateurs are getting in the way - and they know it.
McGinley back in the fray
On the subject of Morocco, it is good to see that Paul McGinley is playing again after four months recuperating from a sixth operation on a knee he damaged while playing Gaelic football as a teenager. One of the most articulate and engaging of golfers, McGinley still harbours hopes of qualifying for the Ryder Cup team that will take on the United States at Celtic Manor, Newport, in October. If he fails in his quest - and even he would admit that he is up against it - then the Irishman is expected to become one of Colin Montgomerie's vice-captains. And rest assured, with the Ryder Cup coursing through his veins, McGinley would be a great addition to the team.
Money talks when it comes to the World Cup
I see the World Cup, that most unloved of golfing events, will become a biennial competition from next year. It was dropped from the calendar this year, but will resurface at the Mission Hills Resort, on Hainan Island, China, in November 2011.
In 2009 much criticism was levelled against the Americans, who could barely get together a two-man team to represent their country. But do the organisers really believe that by increasing the prize fund by $2 million, golf's spoilt and pampered stars are going to jump on their private jets and head to the other side of the world? When the Molinari brothers won in 2009, they shared a first prize of $1.4 million. How much more do these guys need?
Hansen's taxing problem
One man who might be only too pleased to play for such riches is Soren Hansen. The Dane finds himself in court in Denmark this week on a charge of tax evasion. The Ryder Cup player has been accused of misreporting his earnings in the six years up to 2006, claiming that he lived most of that time in Monaco and not Denmark. The taxman is seeking 9.6 million kroner (about $1.75 million) and up to an additional 10 million kroner as a penalty payment if he were to be found guilty.
Source:The Times

No comments:

Post a Comment

search the web

http://sportsdesks.blogspots.com" id="cse-search-box">