Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Amir Khan handed world title shot against Andreas Kotelnik

Amir Khan will fight for his first world title against WBA light-welterweight champion Andreas Kotelnik in Britain on June 27.
The 22-year-old from Bolton stopped three-time world champion Marco Antonio Barrera last month and Frank Warren, his promoter, has now agreed a deal that pits him against the German-based Ukrainian. Khan will move up a division for the fight.
"To fight for the world title in only my 22nd fight is fantastic," Khan said. "This is the best news that I could have received. Frank has done a great job getting the world title fight for me in Britain and now I have to go out and win it.
"I've seen Kotelnik a few times and I've always been impressed by him but once my trainer, Freddie Roach, works out the game plan to beat him it's my job to execute it on the night as I did effectively against Barrera."
Kotelnik gained a split decision against Marcos Rene Maidana to hold on to his title on February 7 for his 31st victory against two losses and a draw.
Khan has won 20 fights and has lost once.
Source:the times

No comments:

Post a Comment

search the web

http://sportsdesks.blogspots.com" id="cse-search-box">