Saturday, January 10, 2009

Juninho prepares to retire in 2010

Lyon‘s former Brazilian international midfielder, Juninho, is preparing to call time on his stellar career at the end of his current contract in 2010.
The 33-year-old - who has been the inspiration behind Lyon‘s seven successive championships since he arrived from Vasco da Gama in 2001 - however wants to break the century of goals mark at the club, which he is presently six short of.
The Brazilian told AFP, ”I know that I am nearing the exit. I feel it is the moment to prepare for the future with my family. The younger players could probably express themselves better without my prescence.”
In an interview he gave to regional newspaper, Le Progres, on Tuesday, Juninho, who was capped 44 times and scored seven goals for Brazil added, ”I am under contract till 2010 and don‘t dare ask for an extension.”
However, Juninho, who had already intimated last October that he wanted to retire soon, refused to be explicit about when he would eventually call it a day.
”I have my ideas but I don‘t want to divulge them. But the club doesn‘t know what date I have set and I hope they are understanding about it,” added Juninho, who has two readymade replacements waiting in the wings in the shape of Miralem Pjanic and Honorato Ederson.
Juninho admitted he had played less often this term but believed he had lost none of his ability and confessed he still had targets.
”When I see the applause when Steven Gerrard scored his 100th goal for Liverpool, I think to myself that is a nice thing to achieve.”
source:the punch news paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

search the web

http://sportsdesks.blogspots.com" id="cse-search-box">