Thursday, January 1, 2009

Hayden has no plans to quit

Under pressure Australia opener Matthew Hayden insists he has never thought about retirement.
The left-hander has scored just 56 runs in his last six innings, including knocks of eight and 23 in the Boxing Day Test defeat to South Africa.
Such a bad slump means the 102-Test veteran could well be playing for his international future in the final match of the series against the Proteas.
However, Hayden insists he is strong enough to bounce back having been written off before during his distinguished career.
Agitated
"I'm not sure going after you lose a series, in the middle of the series, would be the right time to go," he said. "There's absolutely no doubt about that.
"So I didn't think about it for a minute.
"I've never been first picked in the side and that's held me in good stead because I think 'wow I've got to play well'.
"That's been a great needle in my side that's agitated me to make sure I'm working harder than anyone else.
"I've been written off many times before and really loved and thrived on the fact I've come back and enjoyed playing Test match cricket for Australia."
The 37-year-old acknowledges that his performances since he returned to the team from a heel injury during the tour of India have been average by his usual lofty standards.
Despite his recent struggles Hayden still averages over 50 in Test cricket, though he knows he really cannot afford to fail again in Sydney if he wants to keep his place in the line-up.
Strategy
"Performances have been average for me and I guess I live and die by the standards that I've set over a 15-20 year career," he said.
"I understand I need to get runs. I've always kept it very simple in Test match cricket. I have a certain strategy (and) sometimes it doesn't work and the result is evident.
"But I prepare the same way every time. I've loved playing for Australia, I'm very proud to represent my state and my country and I'm going to work and train over the next few days as hard as I ever have before.
"I'm going to go in with a certain strategy and a clear mind and enjoy whatever result may or my not come my way."
source:sky sports

No comments:

Post a Comment

search the web

http://sportsdesks.blogspots.com" id="cse-search-box">